Here’s how to make the best grilled tofu! It tastes simply irresistible when charred to perfection, then drenched in a sweet and savory marinade.
- 2 blocks extra-firm or firm tofu (12 to 16 ounces each)*
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (375 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Remove the tofu from the package and drain the liquid. Cut each tofu package into half lengthwise and place it in a large bowl. Microwave it on high for 2 minutes; this helps to extract liquid.
- Drain off excess liquid released in the microwave. Place the pieces on a towel and place another folded towel on top. Top with a cutting board and a heavy object. Allow to press for 15 minutes until the water is drained.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mirin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and olive oil.
- Cut each slab into 3 large slices, or 12 slices total. Brush all sides of the slices with the sauce (reserving the remainder for after grilling), and sprinkle generously with kosher salt.
- Place the tofu slabs onto the grill and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until lightly browned with grill marks, and the tofu releases from the grates. Remove from the grill. Transfer to a serving plate and brush on remaining sauce, pouring any leftover over the top. Taste and if necessary, add a few more pinches kosher salt.
*Do not use soft or silken tofu! This type will not hold up on the grill.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Grilled tofu, How to grill tofu