These grilled potatoes in foil are so easy to make, and they’re always a hit! Throw them on and forget about them while you make the rest of the meal.
- 1 pound red or yellow potatoes*
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (we used thyme and oregano)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil for vegan)
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (375 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Chop the potatoes and onions into bite-sized pieces. Place them in a medium bowl and mix them with the olive oil, chopped fresh herbs, garlic powder, kosher salt, and several grinds of black pepper.
- Place the potatoes and onions on a large sheet of foil and fold up sides. Place the butter, cut into thin pats, on top. Place second piece of foil on top and seal the seams. Poke several holes in the packet with fork (to allow stem to escape).
- Place directly on the grill grates and cook for 25 to 30 minutes until tender (open and test with a fork to assess doneness; exact timing depends on the size of pieces and exact grill temperature). Taste and add additional salt as necessary.
*Easy to double or 1.5 for larger servings!
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Grilled potatoes in foil, How to grill potatoes