Here’s how to make grenadine syrup, that brilliant red syrup for making cocktails! It’s all natural and easy to make using pomegranate juice.
- 2/3 cup fresh squeezed pomegranate juice (8 ounces pomegranate seeds or 2 medium pomegranates)*
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Make the pomegranate juice: If using whole pomegranates, remove the seeds. Place the pomegranate seeds in a cocktail shaker (or tall glass) and mash with a muddler or wooden spoon until all the juices have been released. Then pour it through a fine mesh strainer into a measuring cup.
- Simmer: Add the pomegranate juice and sugar to a small saucepan heat over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Cool and store: Cool and stir in the lemon juice. Pour into a sealed container and refrigerate up to three weeks. For a longer storage time, add 1 tablespoon vodka or brandy to fortify the syrup.
*You can also use bottled pomegranate juice, but the color won’t be as vibrant.
- Category: Syrup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Cocktails