Need vegetarian grill recipes? These simple Greek grilled veggie skewers served over pesto quinoa are a healthy dinner idea ripe for summer.
- Pesto Quinoa
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 zucchini
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounce package halloumi cheese*
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 10 skewers
- Soak the skewers for 1 hour.
- Heat a grill to medium low heat.
- Start the Pesto Quinoa.
- Chop the bell pepper, onion, summer squash, and zucchini into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large bowl with the cherry tomatoes. Chop the mint; save out a pinch for the halloumi (below). In a bowl, toss the vegetables with the mint, 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, and several grinds of black pepper.
- Remove the halloumi from package and drain any excess water, then cut it into 20 cubes (keep them as large as possible). Place the halloumi in a smaller bowl and gently mix with the remaining olive oil, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and the remaining mint.
- Gently thread the halloumi and vegetables on skewers, taking care as the halloumi can break easily.
- Place the skewers on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until tender and charred, about 15 minutes. Remove from the grill and squeeze with juice from a few lemon wedges.
- When ready to serve, place pesto quinoa on a plate and skewers over the top. Serve with additional lemon wedges.
*For vegan, use baby bella mushrooms, combine them with the veggies for flavoring, and add a few extra pinches of kosher salt.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Skewers, Veggie Skewers, Summer Grilling, Grilled, Grill Recipes, Vegetarian Grill Recipes, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Quinoa, Pesto