This refreshing grapefruit salad recipe stars the juicy citrus fruit with toasted almonds, feta cheese, and a zingy poppy seed dressing.
For the salad
- 2 pink grapefruit
- 1 handful red onion slices
- 8 cup mixed greens or butter lettuce
- 1/4 cup feta or goat cheese crumbles (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
For the poppy seed dressing (makes 6 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (or honey)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (aka mustard powder)
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil* (or other neutral oil like organic vegetable or canola)
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Prep the fresh ingredients: Peel and segment the grapefruit using this method. Thinly slice the red onion.
- Toast the almonds: Place the nuts in a dry skillet (no oil) over medium heat. Heat, shaking the pan and stirring often with a wooden spoon, until the nuts are fragrant and golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove immediately from the heat and transfer to a plate to stop the cooking.
- Make the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, white vinegar, dry mustard, onion powder, and kosher salt. Gradually whisk in the grapeseed oil 1 tablespoon at a time until a creamy emulsion forms. Whisk in the poppy seeds. (Use immediately or store refrigerated in a sealed container or jar until serving; allow to come to room temperature prior to serving.)
- Assemble the salad: Place the salad greens on plates. Top with grapefruit slices, red onions, goat cheese crumbles, and toasted almonds. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Salad
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Grapefruit salad