This gourmet grilled cheese recipe is an elevated take on the classic! A few tricks make it taste gooey, smoky and savory sweet.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 3 to 4 tablespoons grated smoked gouda cheese
- 3 to 4 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese (or other cheese of choice)
- 1 tablespoon fig, tomato or apricot jam, 1 teaspoon honey, or 6 apple or pear slices
- Spread mayonnaise on the outside of each slice of bread, and jam or honey on the inside of one of the slices.
- Place a skillet over medium high heat and add one slice of bread, mayo side down. Top with the shredded cheese (and apple, if using) and other slice of bread.
- Cook until the bread is golden brown and toasted, then flip and cook a few minutes more until the second bread slice is toasted and the cheese is warm. (Want to cook many sandwiches at a time? Go to Grilled Cheese in the Oven.)
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Gourmet grilled cheese, gourmet grilled cheese recipes