This really is the best chocolate cake. It’s so rich, moist, and chocolate-y, no one would guess it’s a gluten free dessert recipe!
- Coconut oil for pan
- 1 cup creamy, unsweetened, unsalted almond butter, raw or roasted, or sunflower butter
- 1/3 cup pure Grade A maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder (optional)*
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, dairy-free as desired
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8- or 9-inch square pan with coconut oil. If you want to remove the cake from the pan in one piece, line it with unbleached parchment paper as well.
- In a large bowl, stir together the almond butter, maple syrup, cocoa powder, salt, coffee powder, egg, vanilla, and baking soda until fully combined and a sticky dough forms.
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until just set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with dry crumbs. Do not overbake. A 9-inch pan will take about 30 minutes; an 8-inch will take about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
Reprinted with permission from Kitchen Matters by Pamela Salzman
*Instant coffee powder enhances the chocolate flavor in baked goods. It is completely optional though. There are coffee alternatives, such as Pero, which is a chicory and barley-based product with no caffeine. Pero is not gluten free or grain free, due to the barley. Do not use coffee grounds in place of instant coffee powder.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Sweets
Keywords: Gluten Free Dessert Recipes