These almond snowball cookies are spiced Christmas cookies with a twist: they’re made with almond flour and cozy chai spices!
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar (such as Bob’s Red Mill, or substitute white sugar)
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour (such as Bob’s Red Mill)*
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (no substitutions!)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, mix together butter and sugar until fully combined. Add the remainder of the ingredients (except for the powdered sugar) and mix again until a cohesive dough forms. Turn out onto plastic wrap and shape into a ball; refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (make sure the temperature is true; adjust if your oven runs hotter than normal). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll into approximately 20 1-inch balls, pressing together the dough as necessary where it is crumbly. Important: Work quickly to avoid the butter softening, which results in a melted cookie in the oven. We recommend refrigerating half of the dough while rolling out the first half of the cookies.
- Place the cookies onto the baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes, turning the pan halfway through for even baking, until the cookies are light golden brown but still soft. (Be careful not to over bake or the cookies may start to lose their shape.) Remove the cookies from the oven and cool them on the pan for 10 minutes (avoid touching; the cookies will solidify as they cool). Once hardened, transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- When completely cool, place ¼ cup powdered sugar on a plate and roll each ball in the sugar until coated.
*Do not substitute almond meal, which is a different product; use only almond flour here!
For a vegan variation, use 1/4 cup melted, room temperature coconut oil in place of the butter; mix together all ingredients (except powdered sugar) in a bowl with a wooden spoon, then bake at 325°F for 10 minutes. The resulting cookie is not as rich and has a more crumbly texture; you may want to consider adding a bit more sugar in this variation to make up for the lost richness.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Almond Flour, Snowball Cookies, Almond Snowball Cookies, Chai Spice Cookies, Christmas Cookies, Gluten Free