This ginger molasses cookies recipe is soft, chewy, and full of bold spices! Bake up a batch to impress everyone.
- 2 cups [180 g] all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
Note: Make sure to set out your butter at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour before making this recipe.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and kosher salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (or with a hand-mixer), beat the room temperature butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and molasses and beat for 1 minute, until fully combined. Set mixer to low and slowly add dry ingredients until just combined.
- Form the dough into a ball and cover in plastic wrap or place in a sealed container. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/2 tablespoon balls (30 g each), then roll the balls in granulated sugar to coat the outsides. Arrange the cookies on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. (We recommend baking 1 tray at a time for the most even bake, or rotate the trays halfway through baking.) Bake until set and crinkled on top and no longer gooey, about 10 to 12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool fully.
- To store, line a container with paper towels (this helps to preserve moisture and keep them chewy). Store at room temperature for 1 week, refrigerated for 2 weeks (bring to room temperature before serving), or frozen for 3 months.
- Category: Cookie
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Cookie
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Ginger molasses cookies, molasses cookies, ginger molasses cookie recipe, molasses ginger cookies