This frisee salad is refreshing and sophisticated, pairing this frilly leafy green with orange, almonds and a zingy vinaigrette.
For the frisee salad
- 1 large or 2 to 3 small heads frisée* (may be marked as curly endive or endive lettuce)
- 1 orange, plus zest
- 1 shallot
- 1 ounce Manchego cheese (or shaved Parmesan cheese; omit for vegan)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves, optional
For the dressing (makes 1/2 cup; use 3 to 4 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Wash and dry the frisée, using a salad spinner or clean towel. Tear or chop the frisee into pieces.
- Zest half the orange. Then segment the orange, following the instructions in How to Cut an Orange.
- Thinly slice the shallot. Slice the Manchego cheese into pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the white wine vinegar, Dijon, maple syrup or honey, salt. Whisk in the oil 1 tablespoon at a time until a creamy dressing forms. Add a few grinds of fresh ground black pepper. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 2 weeks (bring to room temperature prior to serving).
- Serve the salad: place the greens on a large platter or separate plates. Top with orange slices, shallot, cheese, sliced almonds, orange zest, and mint leaves. Drizzle with about 3 to 4 tablespoons of the dressing, to taste.
*Sizes available at stores vary greatly based on the maturity of the plant. See the photo above for a large head of frisee. If the heads are very small you may need 2 to 3. Estimate about 6 cups greens total.
- Category: Salad
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Salad
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Frisee salad