Bulgur wheat is a whole grain that cooks by simply pouring over boiling water! How to make it into a meal? Here’s an easy bulgur wheat recipe.
- 2 cups fine- or medium-grind bulgur wheat*
- 16 ounces baby portabella mushrooms
- 15-ounce can cannellini beans (1 ½ cups cooked)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves (or chopped spinach)
- 4 eggs
- Smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Boil a kettle of water. In a heatproof bowl, combine the bulgur wheat, kosher salt, and 2 cups boiling water. Cover and allow to sit until tender: about 7 minutes for fine-grind and 15 minutes for medium-grind bulgur.
- Meanwhile, brush any dirt from the mushrooms and slice them. Rinse the cannellini beans. Peel the garlic. If using standard spinach, chop it (baby spinach leaves don’t need to be chopped).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the mushrooms with the whole clove of garlic for 3 to 4 minutes until tender. Add the cannellini beans and spinach; saute for another 3 minutes until the spinach is wilted. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Remove the vegetables from the skillet.
- If necessary, add a drizzle of olive oil to the pan and bring to medium heat. Add the eggs and cook sunny side up until the whites have hardened.
- To serve, place the bulgur wheat on a plate and the vegetables alongside. Top with a fried egg and sprinkle generously with smoked paprika.
*Avoid coarse or extra-coarse bulgur, since the cooking instructions are different. Here’s more about types of bulgur.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Bulgur Wheat, Bulgur Wheat Recipes, Cooking with Bulgur Wheat, Easy Dinner Ideas, Quick Dinner Recipes, Fast Dinner Recipes