Here’s how to make the best best French toast recipe! It’s caramelized on the outside with a sweet custardy interior.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (whole or 2%*)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 slices bread from Italian or French loaf, sourdough, challah, or brioche loaf (cut 3/4” thick)**
- 2 tablespoons butter, for cooking
- In a wide shallow bowl or container, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and kosher salt.
- Preheat a griddle over medium heat and melt 1 tablespoon butter. Soak each side of 4 slices of bread in the egg mixture until it becomes saturated (about 10 to 15 seconds per side for an artisan or sourdough bread**). Place the bread on the hot skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until browned.
- Repeat with the remaining butter and 4 slices bread. Serve immediately with maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar.
*Use whole milk for the best rich flavor. For a decadent twist, use half milk and half heavy cream.
**If you’re using a bread with more structure like sourdough, you can soak it in the egg mixture slightly longer if you like. If you’re using a sandwich bread with a flimsier structure, you may want to toast it first before soaking, otherwise it can become very mushy.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: French toast, how to make french toast, best french toast recipe, easy french toast recipe