Here’s how to make French press coffee…with the perfect coffee ratio! This coffee maker brews one stellar cup of joe.
- 70 grams coffee, about 1 cup ground coffee beans
- 4 cups filtered water* (950 grams)
- 8-cup / 34-ounce (1 liter) French Press
- Grind the coffee: Grind the coffee beans to a medium grind using a coffee grinder (a burr grinder is most consistent but not required). The size of grind is important: if it’s too fine it can create sediment; if it’s too coarse it’s not flavorful enough.
- Heat the water: Heat the water to hot but not boiling (200 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit) using an electric kettle, or bring it to a boil on the stovetop and then let it sit for 1 minute to decrease in temperature.
- Add coffee grounds: Add the coffee grounds to the bottom of the pot.
- Let coffee bloom for 1 minute: Add hot water to the height of the coffee and stir with a spoon. Set a timer and wait for 1 minute.
- Add water and brew 4 minutes: Fill the French press to the top (just below the spout) and stir again. Set a timer and wait for 4 minutes.
- Plunge: Place the lid on the French press and slowly press the plunger all the way down. Serve immediately. Tip: If the plunger is hard to press, use a more coarse grind of coffee the next time. If it presses very easily, make the coffee grounds a bit finer.
*Coffee is best with filtered water: it’s easiest using a filter pitcher like this one.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Brewed
- Cuisine: Coffee
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: French press coffee, French press coffee ratio, How to make French press coffee, French press coffee maker, How much coffee for French press