An adaptation of Julia Child’s classic recipe, this French potato salad is a favorite! It features zingy red potatoes, capers, and parsley.
- 3 pounds baby red potatoes
- 1/4 cup minced shallot (about 1 large)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper
- Fill a large pot with cold water and add 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Add the whole potatoes and bring to a boil. When it comes to a boil, set a timer for 8 minutes. Cook until fork tender (taste test to check).
- Mince the shallot.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them. When they are cool enough to handle, slice them into bite sized pieces. Place the potatoes in a bowl and gently mix in the minced shallot, white wine vinegar, kosher salt, and 1/2 cup warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes, gently stirring occasionally. The potatoes will absorb the water as they stand.
- Add the capers, parsley, olive oil, and a few grinds black pepper. Taste and add additional salt if necessary. Serve warm or room temperature.
Inspired by The Way to Cook by Julia Child
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: French potato salad, What is French potato salad, Potato salad with capers, Best potato salad, Potato salad with vinegar