French bread pizza is a quick and tasty: like a cross between garlic bread and pizza! It’s hearty and satisfying: no need for pizza dough.
- 1 large loaf French bread (sometimes labeled Italian bread*)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup Homemade Pizza Sauce (or purchased sauce)
- 1 3/4 cups shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh basil, for topping
- Pizza toppings: cherry tomatoes*, mini pepperoni, sliced black olives, green peppers, red onion, etc
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Make the Pizza Sauce.
- Slice the bread in half, then in half lengthwise. Place it on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, garlic, and dried oregano (mix well so the garlic becomes fully distributed). Brush the oil mixture onto the bread. Top with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, split between the four pieces. Bake for 5 minutes.
- While the pizzas bake, prepare the toppings.
- Remove the tray from the oven. Carefully top each with the pizza sauce and the remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Add the toppings and add a sprinkle of salt to the top of each pizza.
- Bake again for 8 to 10 minutes until the cheese is melted. Garnish with the chopped basil. Serve immediately. Leftovers save refrigerated for up to 2 days.
*Avoid using a baguette! Use a large loaf French bread, which is often labeled Italian bread.
**We used thinly sliced cherry tomatoes sprinkled with a bit of salt, garlic powder and paprika.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: French bread pizza