Here’s how to make focaccia pizza! This recipe makes a deliciously thick crust for all your favorite toppings: ready in just a few hours.
For the focaccia
- 562 grams (4 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant or active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 355 grams (1 1/2 cups) warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
For the pizza
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, for brushing the sheet pan
- 1 1/4 cups Easy Pizza Sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked mozzarella
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt, for sprinkling
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Make the dough: In a large bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, yeast, kosher salt, oregano and garlic powder. Add the warm water and olive oil and stir until flour is incorporated.
- Knead the dough: Knead the dough by pushing with the base of your palm, then reforming it into a ball. Continue kneading for 8 minutes until the dough feels pillowy and has a smooth, stretchy exterior. If the dough is very sticky, add a small amount of flour while kneading. Alternatively: attach the dough hook to a stand mixer and start the mixer on medium-low speed, then allow the mixer to knead for 8 minutes.
- Rest the dough (45 minutes): Using floured hands, gently shape the dough into a boule (ball shape) by folding the dough under itself. Place it in a covered bowl and allow it to rest for 45 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Rest the dough in a sheet pan (15 minutes): Brush 3 tablespoons olive oil on the bottom and sides of a standard 13″x 18″ sheet pan. Add the dough and press it with oiled fingers until it evenly covers the pan. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and rest for 15 minutes to relax the dough.
- Rest the dough again (1 hour): Press the dough back into the corners of the pan. Dot the entire surface with finger indentations (see the photo above; this helps the thickness to stay even). Brush top of the dough with a bit of olive oil and rest for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 515 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the pizza dough without toppings: After the 1 hour rest, place the sheet pan in the oven and bake the pizza dough for 10 minutes without the sauce and toppings.
- Add the toppings and bake again: Remove the dough from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the pizza sauce, smoked mozzarella, fresh mozzarella (torn into pieces), and Parmesan cheese, and top with a few pinches of kosher salt. Take care, since the pan will be hot! Bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Sprinkle with torn basil. Cut into pieces with a knife (a pizza cutter doesn’t get all the way to the pan edges) and serve immediately.
*For vegan, top with Vegan Pizza toppings.
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Focaccia pizza, Sheet pan pizza