This easy skillet flatbread recipe comes out deliciously soft and chewy! Use this Greek pita bread for wraps, falafel, pizza, or simply eating with a meal.
- 2 1/2 cups (312 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- Make the dough (5 minutes): In a large bowl, stir together the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt. Add the olive oil and water, and stir until the dough comes together. If it is dry, add a bit more water; if it is very sticky, add a sprinkle more flour. On a lightly floured counter, knead for about 30 seconds to 1 minute until all of the flour is incorporated and a dough ball forms.
- Form and rest the dough (35 minutes): Flatten the dough into a disc. Cut it into 8 equal pieces and form it into balls. Cover the dough with a damp tea towel and rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough (5 minutes): Once the dough has rested, on a clean, lightly floured countertop, roll each dough into a thin circle, about 8” across.
- Cook the flatbreads (10 to 15 minutes): Heat a large skillet, griddle, or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the pan lightly with olive oil and add one of the pieces of dough and cook until the bottom is golden and browned in spots, about 1 minute. Then turn and cook another 1 minute on the other side. Wrap it in a clean towel. Repeat with the remaining 7 flatbreads, adding each to the towel afterwards (this will steam them and keep them warm and supple).
- Storage: store in a well-sealed bag or container up to 3 days (or freeze for a few months wrapped in foil in a sealed bag or container). Before eating leftover flatbread, reheat it in a toaster or a 350 degree oven until warm and pliable.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Bread
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Flatbread, Flatbread Recipe, Easy Flatbread