This shaved fennel salad is light and refreshing, pairing the raw vegetable with apple, lemon, and Parmesan cheese.
- 2 heads fennel (4 to 5 cups sliced), plus fennel fronds
- 1 apple
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese (omit for vegan)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Using a large chef’s knife, chop off the fennel stalks, saving them for the garnish. Then cut off the root end of the fennel. Remove any tough outer layers of the fennel and discard them. Slice down the center of the fennel bulb. Place it on its cut side and cut very thin half-moon slices parallel to the root end. (Go to How to Cut Fennel for more. You can also use a mandolin to cut very thin slices if you have one.)
- Thinly slice the apple. Place the fennel and apple slices in a medium bowl, and add the shaved Parmesan cheese (cut shavings with a vegetable peeler).
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Pull off the wispy parts (the fronds) with your fingers, and roughly tear them, adding enough for about 2 to 3 tablespoons. Place them in the bowl.
- Gently toss the salad with your hands until it’s evenly coated, taking care not to break the apple slices. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate until serving. Stores up to 3 days refrigerated; refresh the flavors with a pinch of salt and a bit of lemon juice or zest if desired.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: No cook
- Cuisine: Salad
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Fennel salad