Here’s a refreshing and easy side dish: fennel orange salad! It pairs juicy orange and the subtle licorice essence of fennel with a citrus vinaigrette.
- 1/2 recipe Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 large shallot
- 2 small oranges: blood orange or Cara Cara
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- 5 ounces baby mixed greens (about 5 cups)*
- Make the Citrus Vinaigrette.
- Thinly slice the fennel and the shallot. If desired, save a few fennel fronds (the feathery green parts on top of the stalk) for a garnish.
- Cut oranges into sections or “supremes” following How to Cut an Orange.
- To serve, place the greens on a plate. Top with oranges, fennel, shallot, and chopped pistachios (and fennel fronds if desired). Drizzle with dressing and serve.
*Use whatever type you’d like! It’s nice to use a mixture of greens to vary texture and flavor. If you’re using baby kale, arugula or spinach, make sure they’re mixed with some other milder greens. Mixed lettuces are also nice, as they add a refreshing crunch.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Salad
Keywords: Fennel Orange Salad, Orange Salad, Citrus Salad Dressing, Citrus Vinaigrette,