Here’s how to make the very best falafel sandwich! The ultimate vegetarian sandwich, this recipe tastes just like restaurant style.
- 1 recipe Classic Falafel (or Baked Falafel)
- 6 Flatbreads or pita bread*
- 1 recipe Quick Cucumber Sauce (or Tzatziki), Cilantro Sauce, or Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 cup hummus (optional)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce or green cabbage (or sliced cucumbers)
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- Chopped cilantro, flat leaf parsley, or dill, to garnish
- Optional: Storebought harissa, roasted eggplant for an over-the-top sandwich
- Make the falafel. (Note: The dried chickpeas must be soaked overnight.) Use the refrigeration time for the falafel dough to do the steps below.
- If using homemade bread, make the flatbread (or make it in advance: it stores well!). If using store bought bread, warm the bread before serving in a 300 degree oven for a few minutes until pliable.
- Make the sauce: either Quick Cucumber Sauce, Cilantro Sauce, or Tahini Sauce.
- Chop the tomatoes, lettuce, and red onion.
- Slather the bottom of the pita with hummus or some of the sauce, then add the falafel, chopped vegetables, and chopped herbs. Liberally spoon over the sauce.
*While you can use pita pockets and stuff them, we prefer a pocketless pita bread or even naan bread to use as a wrap. Feel free to wrap in foil, as it can get messy!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Falafel Sandwich