Use eggplant for the crust to make eggplant pizza! These mini pizzas are tasty and easy to make, covered in garlicky sauce and gooey cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the eggplant into 3/4 inch thick slices. Brush both sides with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle the tops liberally kosher salt (about 1/4 teaspoon total) and the dried oregano.
- Place the eggplant on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender but still holding their shape.
- While the eggplant roasts, make the pizza sauce.
- Top the eggplant with a thin layer of the pizza sauce, then add the chopped basil, divided between the rounds. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese, divided between the rounds, and sprinkle the tops with a little more kosher salt.
- Broil the eggplant until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes, rotating the pan as necessary for even cooking (alternatively, you can bake the pizzas until the cheese melts). Top with more fresh basil and serve.
*This recipe is easy to double to feed 4 as a main dish. If you can, try to find eggplant that is a uniform size all the way down the eggplant (eggplant that has a very large bulb at the end makes for more variation in pizza size).
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian