Tempeh bacon is a protein-packed way to make a smoky, salty vegan spin that tastes like the real stuff! Perfect for BLTs and alongside scrambles.
- 8 ounce package tempeh
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper (not fresh ground)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 pinches cayenne
- Cut the tempeh into thin strips, about 1/8 to 1/4 inches thick.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 1/2 tablespoons tamari, 3 teaspoons liquid smoke, 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin and 2 pinches of cayenne.
- Place the tempeh in a shallow dish and pour on the marinade. Turn the tempeh several times to make sure it is fully coated. Leave to marinate for around 10 minutes.
- Heat a griddle or skillet. Add some olive oil and pan fry the tempeh on each side until browned (or until a bit charred, if you like it crispy!).
- Remove to a plate to cool. If desired, season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tempeh bacon, how to make tempeh bacon, what is tempeh