Steamed broccoli is an easy, healthy side dish that turns out bright green and crisp tender every time. Here’s how to cook broccoli…the best way!
- 1 1/2 pounds (2 large heads) broccoli
- 1/4 cup red onions, thinly sliced (or substitute green onion)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the broccoli into florets.
- If using, thinly slice the onion. Place it in a bowl of water while you’re making the rest of the recipe, then drain. (This helps to reduce onion breath and remove some of the spicy bite. If you use green onion, skip this step!)
- Place 1 1/2 cups water into a saucepan or pot. If using a steamer basket without a handle, add it to the pot now: the water surface should be right under the basket. Bring the water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the broccoli (in the steamer basket, if it has a handle). Steam with the lid on 3 to 4 minutes until just tender, testing with a fork to assess whether it’s done. We like our broccoli on the crisp side: if you’d like it more tender, cook 1 minute more. Just be careful not to cook much longer or the color will immediately fade and it will be overcooked!
- Carefully remove the broccoli to a bowl. Toss with the olive oil, kosher salt, feta cheese (optional), and drained red onions. Top with freshly ground black pepper.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Steamed
- Cuisine: Vegetables
Keywords: Steamed Broccoli, Easy Steamed Broccoli, Easy Side Dish Recipe