Steamed asparagus is a quick and easy way to cook this healthy vegetable! Here’s how to steam it the right way, so it comes out bright green and tender.
- 1 large bunch asparagus
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and dry the asparagus. Chop off the tough ends of the stalks and discard them. Cut the stalks into 2-inch pieces.
- Boil the water: Add water to a pot so that the surface is right under the steamer basket. Add the steamer basket and bring the water to a boil.
- Steam: Once boiling, add the asparagus. Steam with the lid on for about 2 to 5 minutes until crisp tender and the thickest portion, taste testing with a fork to assess doneness. Make sure not to overcook it!
- Season: Carefully remove the asparagus to a bowl, draining away any water. Toss with the olive oil, lemon juice, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Steamed
- Cuisine: Vegetables
Keywords: Steamed asparagus, how to steam asparagus