This refried bean dip is a healthy spin on the traditional cheese dip: it’s plant based using refried beans, spices, and a salsa fresca topping.
For the refried bean dip
- 1 recipe Instant Pot refried beans or Homemade Refried Beans, or 2 15-ounce cans best quality refried beans
- 4-ounce can mild green chilis
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Tortilla chips, for serving
For the salsa fresca topping
- Make the Instant Pot refried beans or Homemade Refried Beans, making sure they are warm before serving. If using canned beans, warm them on the stovetop in a saucepan and stir until creamy, adding a little water or broth if they are too thick. (If you make the refried beans in advance, reheat them on the stovetop.)
- Stir in the green chilis, lime juice, ground cumin, smoked paprika, and hot sauce. Taste and add additional kosher salt if necessary. (If you’re using canned refried beans, you may want to add additional cumin or lime
- For the salsa fresca topping, dice the tomato. Finely chop the red onion. Chop the cilantro. In a small bowl, mix the tomato, red onion and cilantro with the lime juice, cumin, and kosher salt. If using, thinly slice the jalapeno pepper into rounds.
- To serve, place the dip into a shallow dish. Top with the salsa topping and thinly sliced jalapeno pepper. Serve with tortilla chips.
Note: Prep time includes only the prep time for the refried bean dip, not the Instant Pot refried beans.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican inspired
Keywords: Refried bean dip, Easy bean dip, Bean dip, bean dip recipe