This pinwheel recipe is the ultimate finger food! These tortilla roll ups are perfect for entertaining and endlessly customizable.
- 6 cups (5 ounces) fresh baby spinach leaves or 1/2 cup defrosted frozen spinach
- 4 burrito size 10-inch* flour tortillas
- 8 ounces cream cheese or soft goat cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes in oil or jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook the spinach: Place the spinach leaves in a skillet with 1/4 cup water. Heat over medium heat for a few minutes until the spinach completely wilts down, about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the spinach to a bowl. Add cold water to instantly cool it, then squeeze out as much water as possible. Finely chop the spinach. (If using frozen spinach, defrost it, squeeze out the liquid and finely chop it.)
- Chop the filling ingredients: Chop the sundried tomatoes or bell peppers.
- Make the filling: To a medium bowl, add the spinach, sundried tomatoes, cream cheese or goat cheese, basil, oregano, garlic powder, and salt. Mix it until it comes together into a smooth filling (we found it’s easiest to use clean hands to help break up clumps). Taste and add a pinch of salt if desired.
- Roll the pinwheels: Place a tortilla on a cutting board, and spread it with 1/3 cup of the filling. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Roll up the tortilla very tightly, making sure to keep the roll very tight at the beginning (to avoid a hole in the middle!). Repeat for all tortillas. Refrigerate in a sealed container for at least 2 hours to allow the filling to set. Slice off the ends of the rolls and discard, then slice into 3/4-inch slices to make pinwheels. They last up to 3 days refrigerated, but they taste best day of because the tortillas become softer over time.
*The 10-inch size is best for getting the best look to your pinwheels. We recommend getting this size if at all possible!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pinwheel recipe, Tortilla roll ups