This easy calzone recipe features homemade pizza dough and a veggie and two-cheese filling. Dip it in zesty pizza sauce and prepare to be amazed.
- 1 recipe Best Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe or Food Processor Pizza Dough
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves
- 6 cups (5 ounces) baby spinach leaves (roughly chopped and washed, if using standard spinach)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil (or a handful of chopped fresh basil if in season)
- 1 cup Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce, plus more to serve (make 2 x the recipe)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Kosher salt
- Follow the Best Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe or Food Processor Pizza Dough recipe to prepare the dough. (This takes about 15 minutes to make and 45 minutes to rest.) After kneading, divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Brush the bottom of a container with olive oil, then brush the dough balls with olive oil on all sides and place them in the container. Cover the container and allow the dough to rise 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make a double recipe of the Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce, but use 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder in place of the garlic clove (so 1/2 teaspoon garlic in all). One cup will be used in the calzone filling, and the remainder will be used as a dipping sauce.
- Make the filling: Slice the mushrooms. Mince the garlic. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, and sauté the mushrooms, basil, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt until soft, around 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir; sauté for 1 minute. Add the pizza sauce and spinach and cook down until the liquid has mostly cooked out. Remove from the heat. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Stir to combine with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Working dough 2 balls at a time, place the dough on a floured surface and gently press each into a roughly 5 to 6-inch circle (it’s helpful to measure to make sure it does not get too large). On one half of each dough circle, add a 1/3 cup of the filling mixture, making sure to leave 1/2 inch of space around the edge of the dough. Fold the other half of the dough over so that the calzone forms a half-moon shape. Crimp the edges together using a fork (we used a large serving fork). Use a spatula to transfer the calzones to a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat for all 8 calzones, split between two baking sheets.
- Beat the egg together with 1 tablespoon water and brush the egg wash onto the top of the calzones.
- Bake the calzones until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool, then serve with the remaining pizza sauce on the side.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Easy Calzone Recipe, How to make Calzones, Calzone Recipe, Italian, Vegetarian Calzone, Vegetarian