This banana oatmeal is creamy and lightly sweet, with the best banana flavor! It’s a healthy breakfast that’s fast and easy to whip up.
- 1 tablespoon salted butter or coconut oil
- 2 cups Old Fashioned rolled oats (do not use instant oats or steel cut oats)
- 2 mashed ripe bananas (or save half of one banana for topping)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves or 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- Milk, oat milk or almond milk, for serving (optional)
- Maple syrup or honey, for serving (optional)
- Melt the butter or coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the oats and toast for about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often, until fragrant.
- Add the salt and cinnamon and cloves. Turn the heat to low and carefully pour in the water, milk, vanilla and banana, stirring. Cover and cook for 5 minutes until tender, then remove from the heat. Taste and add 2 more pinches salt. Serve immediately for a chunky texture, or stir in 1/2 cup milk for a creamier body. The texture is intentionally chewy (not gloppy or soggy!). You can also stir in 1 tablespoon maple syrup to the pot for a slightly sweeter flavor, or simply add a drizzle on top. Top with desired toppings and serve.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Oatmeal
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Banana oatmeal