This classic banana nut bread is everything a banana bread should be: moist, warm spiced, and studded with crunchy toasted walnuts.
- 1 cup walnut halves and pieces
- 1 1/3 cups mashed ripe bananas (4 or 5 very ripe bananas)
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (organic vegetable, canola or grapeseed)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (or flax eggs for vegan)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 9-inch loaf pan.
- Toast the walnuts: Place the nuts in a dry skillet (no oil) over medium heat. Heat, shaking the pan and stirring often with a wooden spoon, until the nuts are fragrant and slightly darker brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stay at the stove because the nuts can easily burn! Remove immediately from the heat and transfer to a plate to stop the cooking. Then chop the walnuts: it should be enough for about 3/4 cup.
- Make the batter: Mash the bananas in the bottom of a large bowl, enough for 1 1/3 cup. Whisk in the oil, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and kosher salt. Gradually mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a spatula, taking care not to overmix. Gently fold in the 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the loaf pan and top with the remaining 1/4 cup chopped walnuts. Bake 45 minutes, then add foil loosely on the top. Bake another 10 to 15 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean (or the internal temperature is 200 degrees): the exact timing will depend on the size of the pan.
- Cool: Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then run a knife around the edge and invert the loaf onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Storage info: The bread lasts 4 to 5 days at room temperature wrapped in aluminum foil, refrigerated for 10 days, or frozen for 3 months (slice it into pieces and wrap it in plastic wrap then a freezer-safe bag or container).
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Banana nut bread