These oven baked flautas are filled with a zesty refried bean and cheese filling! Similar to taquitos, they can be made with either flour or corn tortillas.
- 2 green onions
- 1 1/2 cups refried beans, Homemade Refried Beans or vegetarian canned refried beans
- 1/4 cup salsa, plus more to serve
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 14 6-inch flour or corn tortillas*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for brushing
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, for sprinkling
- For dipping: easy guacamole, salsa, or sour cream (or spicy sour cream mixed with hot sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (necessary for cleanup!).
- Thinly slice the green onions.
- If you’re using canned refried beans, take a taste and determine whether they’re well seasoned. If not, add a few pinches of kosher salt and cumin. If you’re using our Homemade Refried Beans, they’ll be perfectly seasoned and you can skip this step.
- In a large bowl, mix together the green onion, refried beans, salsa, chili powder, and shredded cheese.
- Optional step: If you’re using 100% corn tortillas, you may want to pan fry each one in a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil (or without in a dry pan) to prevent cracking and help them be easier to work with. Every tortilla brand is different, so if your tortillas seem brittle it’s helpful to heat them before rolling. You can do this with corn tortillas too!
- Lay a tortilla on a work surface. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the bean mixture in a dollop onto the bottom half of the tortilla. Be careful not to use too much! Tightly roll the tortilla from the bottom (the filling will spread out and hold the tortilla together). Place the flauta seam-side down on the baking sheet. Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
- When the flautas are assembled, brush the tops with oil and sprinkle them with a bit of salt. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until crisp and browned. Some of the beans will come out the ends of the rolls, which is expected (enough filling will remain to perfectly flavor them!). Serve with salsa, guacamole, or sour cream. Freezing instructions: Cool the flautas to room temperature, then freeze in a sealed container. To reheat, bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until warmed through.
*Homemade refried beans have the best flavor! You can also try our Refried Black Beans. Canned is a great shortcut: see if you can find vegetarian refried beans that are already seasoned.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Baked Flautas, Baked Taquitos