This easy dal makhani recipe uses pre-cooked beans and lentils to shorten the cook time for this flavorful vegetarian dish. Serve with naan and enjoy!
- 1 large yellow onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup minced ginger
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons each cumin seeds, chili powder, and coriander
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 15-ounce cans black lentils (or 3 cups cooked black lentils)
- 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Naan or basmati rice, for serving
- Sour cream, to garnish
- Fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Peel and mince the ginger.
- In a small bowl, mix together the tomato paste and 1/2 cup milk until smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Sauté the cumin seeds until they just start to brown, about 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic and ginger, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, coriander, garam masala, cayenne pepper, butter, the tomato paste and milk mixture, and another 1/2 cup milk. Add the beans and lentils and the kosher salt.
- Heat and stir, gradually adding the remainder of the milk (1 1/2 cups, or more) over a few minutes until a thick sauce forms.
- Serve warm, with naan for dipping, or serve with basmati rice. Top with sour cream and chopped cilantro.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Easy dal makhani, dal makhani, Indian recipes, Vegetarian dinner ideas, Dinner ideas, Healthy dinner ideas