- 2 English cucumbers* (1 3/4 to 2 pounds)
- 1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (or more white onion)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Slice the cucumbers as thin as possible, using a mandolin if desired. Thinly slice the onion.
- In a small bowl, mix the white vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture over the cucumbers and onions, mixing everything together to ensure even coverage. You can serve immediately, but it’s best to refrigerate 1 hour so the vegetables become softer.
- Stir again to evenly mix the dressing. Then serve with a slotted spoon. Store refrigerated for up to 7 days.
*English cucumbers are seedless cucumbers with a very thin skin and mild flavor: they’re worth seeking out for this recipe. If you’d like, you can use the same weight of standard cucumbers: make sure to slice them very thinly or peel them if you’re sensitive to the bitter flavor of the skin.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Vegetables
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Cucumber salad, cucumber salad recipe