This crispy tofu recipe is the best, with crunchy sides and a tender interior! It’s easy to make on the stovetop or baked. For the baked variation, go to Baked Tofu.
- 14-ounces firm or extra firm tofu
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (or arrowroot starch)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons smoked soy sauce or soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and pat it dry with a clean towel. Add the tofu cubes to a bowl and sprinkle with 2 pinches kosher salt. Sprinkle with the cornstarch, turning the cubes with a spatula, until evenly coated.
- Add the olive oil to a large, cold non-stick skillet* (this is important; it only works with non-stick surface!). Add the tofu cubes in a single layer.
- Turn on the heat to medium-high. Cook 5 to 6 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Briefly remove the pan from the heat to reduce spitting. Flip the tofu with a spatula. Return the heat to medium-high and cook additional 5 to 6 minutes until browned.
- Briefly remove from the heat again and drizzle with the sesame oil and soy sauce (watch for spitting). Return to low heat and cook, turning often, until darkened and sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes. Taste and if desired, add a few pinches salt. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 to 4 days. Perfect for adding to salads, bowl meals, and more.
*If you don’t have a non-stick skillet, make this Baked Tofu recipe instead.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Crispy tofu, crispy tofu recipe