This cilantro sauce is creamy, tangy, savory, sweet, and totally delicious! It’s plant-based and perfect for dolloping on baked potatoes, tacos and more.
- 1 cup raw or roasted cashews*
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lime juice (juice from 2 limes)
- 2 large handfuls cilantro leaves and tender stems**
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the cashews in a bowl and cover them with water. Soak for 1 hour (or the very least, 30 minutes if you have a high speed blender). For preparation in advance, you can soak the cashews overnight, which is even better.
- Juice the limes.
- Drain the cashews. Add the cashews, water, lime juice, cilantro, and kosher salt to a blender, then blend on high for 1 minute. Stop and scrape, then add additional liquid if necessary to come to the desired creamy consistency (we added 2 additional tablespoons; you could add more for a more drizzle-able sauce). Blend for several minutes until creamy and smooth. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for several months.
*This recipe doesn’t call for salted cashews, but if that’s all you can find, add only half of the kosher salt when you first blend the sauce. Then add additional salt to taste.
**The cilantro flavor is fairly mild, so if you’re a big cilantro lover, add another handful or so of cilantro. You may have to add a bit more water too to get the desired consistency.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Creamy Cilantro Sauce, Cilantro Sauce, Vegan Sauce, Sauce Recipes, Essential Recipes, Cashews, Cashew Cream