Try our best cream cheese frosting recipe! Here’s how to make a lusciously creamy, tangy frosting that’s ideal for cupcakes and cakes.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar (or 2 cups for a sheet cake*)
- Let the butter and cream cheese sit on the counter for 1 hour to come to room temperature.
- Use a fine mesh sieve to sift the powdered sugar into a bowl.
- Beat the butter and cream cheese with a stand mixer or hand mixer on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until completely smooth, scraping once.
- Reduce the speed to low, then add the vanilla. Slowly add the powdered sugar until it comes together into a thick icing.
- Storage instructions: Store cream cheese frosting refrigerated for up to 1 week; allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes and stir before using. You can also freeze cream cheese frosting for up 1 month in a sealed container: fully defrost and stir before using.
*When serving with a sheet cake, you can get away with less powdered sugar to get a purer, tangier cream cheese flavor and a softer texture to the icing (since you’re spreading and not piping it). Use the 3 cups powdered sugar when piping icing onto cupcakes, which results in a stiffer, more robust texture.
- Category: Essentials
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Frosting
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Cream cheese frosting