This coconut rice recipe comes out fluffy and scented with delicate flavor! Here are two variations how to make coconut rice.
- 1 cup long grain white rice (jasmine or other)
- 1 1/2 cups water OR 3/4 cup full fat canned coconut milk (stirred before using)* plus 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil (optional; see notes*)
- Optional flavor adders: zest of 1 lime, sliced green onions
- Rinse the rice under cold water in a fine mesh strainer for 1 minute. Shake dry.
- Place the rice, liquid (water or coconut milk plus water), kosher salt, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer where it is lightly bubbling. Cover and simmer 13 to 15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed (you can quickly uncover and check to make sure it’s at a steady simmer during the cook time). Check by pulling back the rice grains with a fork, then remove from the heat.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes, which completes the rice cooking process. Uncover and fluff with a fork. If you cooked with water only, stir in 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil (or use 1 tablespoon or omit if cooking with coconut milk).
*For a subtle front-end coconut flavor, use water only and stir in coconut oil. For a subtle backend flavor, cook in coconut milk and water. For the most robust flavor, cook with coconut milk and water, and stir in 1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil. Unrefined oil is important because it has the most forward coconut flavor (go to Refined vs Unrefined Coconut Oil).
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Rice
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Coconut rice