This toasted homemade muesli with pecans is a homemade breakfast cereal that’s healthier than granola, and even more delicious!
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened large coconut flakes (not shredded coconut)
- 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus additional to serve
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Non-dairy milk or 2% milk, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roughly chop the dried cherries and place them in a large bowl.
- Spread the oats evenly on a baking sheet, then place the coconut in another even layer over the top. On another baking sheet, place the pecan pieces. Bake both trays for about 10 minutes, watching closely, until the coconut is evenly golden brown. Remove the trays from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup and vanilla, then heat it in the microwave until warmed through, about 20 seconds (alternatively, heat on the stovetop). In a large bowl, combine the toasted oats, coconut, and pecans with the cherries, spices, and maple mixture, then stir to thoroughly combine. Pour the mixture back onto the baking sheet and spread it into an even layer to allow to fully dry, about 10 minutes. Stir to break up any clumps, then transfer to a sealable container.
- To serve, pour over milk and drizzle with a touch of maple syrup. (For one serving, we used 3/4 cup cereal, 1/2 cup milk, and 2 teaspoons maple syrup.) Adding the maple syrup when serving adds the final bit of sweetness, so adjust as desired. Store in a sealed container or bag in the freezer; it thaws immediately so no need to defrost.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Homemade muesli, Toasted muesli, How to eat muesli