Bake up this cinnamon muffins recipe to impress everyone: they’re light and moist, with a crumbly streusel topping!
For the muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup neutral oil (grapeseed or organic vegetable oil; substitute melted butter if you prefer)
- 2/3 cup cottage cheese (small curd if possible)
- 1 cup milk
For the streusel topping*
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a standard 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or add muffin cup papers.
- Make the batter: In a large bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg, then whisk in the vegetable oil, cottage cheese and milk. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until a thick dough forms. Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin cups (the cups will be nearly full).
- Make the streusel topping: Melt the salted butter. Stir in the sugar, flour and cinnamon for the topping until it is well mixed and forms a crumbly sugar mixture. Sprinkle it evenly between the muffins.
- Bake: Bake the muffins for 20 minutes, until puffed and golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a rack to cool fully, about 20 minutes. You can also make into Cinnamon Roll Muffins by drizzling with powdered sugar icing. Leftovers do become soggy so only add icing to the muffins you plan to serve.
- Storage info: Store at room temperature up to 2 days loosely covered in foil, or refrigerated in a sealed container lined with paper towel for 5 days (let stand on the counter to come to room temperature before eating).
*If you prefer a less sweet muffin, omit the streusel topping. You can also make half the streusel amount for a lightly sweet muffin.
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Cinnamon muffins, Cinnamon muffins recipe, Cinnamon streusel muffins