This easy strawberry shortcake recipe features a magic ingredient: chocolate! The chocolate shortcakes are lightly sweet and use Greek yogurt to stay moist.
For the chocolate shortcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ cup turbinado raw cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- Orange zest
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup or chips, if you’re a chocoholic!
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, and kosher salt.
- Slice the butter into thin pieces and cut it into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or fork until it is well integrated and crumbly. Stir in the Greek yogurt and vanilla extract until a sticky dough forms and the flour is integrated.
- Grease a muffin tin and place an even amount of the dough into 8 muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops of the cakes with extra turbinado sugar. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
- While the cakes bake, wash 2 cups strawberries, and slice them into a medium bowl. Stir in the sugar and a few grates of orange zest (taste and adjust as necessary). Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make the whipped cream.
- When ready to serve, cut the cakes in half. Spoon over strawberries, add whipped cream, and top with the remaining half. (If desired, add chocolate syrup or chips.)
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe, Chocolate Shortcake, Healthy Dessert Recipes, Healthy Desserts, Strawberry Recipes