This healthy peanut butter buckeye balls recipe takes the classic chocolate peanut butter buckeyes and adds a healthy twist!
- 20 Medjool dates*
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (vegan if desired)
- Remove the pits from 20 Medjool dates. Place the dates in the bowl of a food processor and process until crumbled. Add 3 tablespoons peanut butter and turn on the food processor; while running, add 2 tablespoons water. Process until completely smooth (stopping and scraping down the bowl as necessary).
- Lightly oil your hands (to prevent sticking) and roll the mixture into small balls, about 30 to 40 total. Place the balls on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper and freeze until ready to dip in chocolate.
- Fill a large skillet halfway with water and bring to a simmer, then place 1 cup chocolate chips in a metal or glass heat-safe bowl. Once the water is simmering, turn off the heat and place the bowl of chocolate in the water, then stir until melted. (Alternatively, use a double boiler to melt the chocolate.)
- Dip each buckeye halfway into the chocolate using a toothpick (then smooth over the toothpick hole). Place the buckeyes back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.
*Medjool dates are a type of date that is exceptionally large and sweet, and are essential for this recipe (do not substitute). Medjool dates are available at many mainstream groceries, and also are available for sale online.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Buckeye balls recipe, Peanut butter buckeyes, Chocolate peanut butter balls healthy, Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Healthy, Vegan, Vegetarian