This deliciously creamy dark chocolate ice cream is so delectable, you won’t miss the dairy! Here’s an easy vegan ice cream recipe to make at home.
- 2 15-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces vegan dark chocolate, 70% cocoa
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Freeze the ice cream maker base overnight.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup coconut milk with 2 tablespoons cornstarch and set aside.
- Add the remainder of the coconut milk to a medium pan. Warm the coconut milk over medium low heat for a minute or two, whisking to incorporate the solids. Then add 1/3 cup agave syrup and 1/3 cup coconut sugar. Break the chocolate into pieces and add to the coconut milk; stir until thoroughly combined. Whisk in the cocoa powder, then the cornstarch mixture. Heat until the chocolate mixture is thickened, 6 to 8 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a 1-gallon Ziplock bag. If churning immediately, place the bag in an ice bath for 30 minutes until cool; if churning the next day, refrigerate 4 hours or overnight (either way, the mixture should be as cold as possible before churning).
- Churn the ice cream in the ice cream maker until it thickens to the consistency of soft serve. Eat immediately for a soft serve consistency, or for a hard ice cream texture, freeze using the following instructions: press a piece of parchment or wax paper into a sealable container, then scrape the ice cream into the container using a spatula, making sure to scrape in the bits frozen to the edges of the ice cream maker base. Freeze for 4 hours for a hard ice cream texture.
Note: Due to the need to chill the ingredients before churning, we recommend starting this recipe the night before serving. Adapted from The Kitchn
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frozen
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Dark Chocolate Ice Cream, Ice Cream Recipe, Vegan Ice Cream, Creamy Dairy Free Ice Cream