Try this chocolate chip banana bread recipe: the best way to use the ripe fruit! It’s moist and sweet, flavored with brown butter.
- 1 1/4 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (or flax eggs for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter an 8 or 9-inch loaf pan.
- Brown the butter: Place the butter (sliced into pieces) in a skillet over medium heat. Heat for a few minutes until it melts, turns foamy, and then starts to become golden brown in color and smells nutty. Immediately remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl to cool for a minute before adding to the batter.
- Make the batter: Mash the bananas in the bottom of a large bowl, enough for 1 1/4 cup. Whisk in the sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Add the browned butter once it’s ready.
- Add the baking soda, cinnamon, kosher salt, all-purpose flour, and whole wheat flour to another bowl and mix. Add to the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir together with a spoon. Gently fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the loaf pan and top with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Bake 55 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean (or the internal temperature is 200 degrees): the exact timing will depend on the size of the pan. Optional: add a sprinkle of flaky sea salt when you remove the bread from the oven.
- Cool: Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then run a knife around the edge and invert the loaf onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Storage info: The bread lasts 4 to 5 days at room temperature wrapped in aluminum foil, refrigerated for 10 days, or frozen for 3 months (slice it into pieces and wrap it in plastic wrap then a freezer-safe bag or container).
- Category: Quick bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Baked
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Chocolate chip banana bread, chocolate chip banana bread recipe, banana chocolate chip bread