Wow is all we can say about these chocolate banana muffins! They’re dark chocolaty with a light crunch on top and a moist interior.
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas or 3 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (or coconut oil, for vegan)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg (or flax egg, for vegan)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place muffin liners in a muffin tin.
- Mash the bananas in the bottom of a large bowl, enough for 1 cup. Melt the butter, then whisk it into the bananas along with the brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, Dutch-process cocoa powder, baking soda, and kosher salt. Add to the bowl with the bananas and stir together with a spoon until a sticky dough forms. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar (or lightly with brown sugar).
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes in the muffin tin, then move to a cooling rack to cool to room temperature before serving.
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chocolate banana muffins