Wondering how to cook delicata squash? This delicata squash recipe turns it into a tasty main dish, featuring black bean stuffing and a chipotle glaze.
- 1 cup uncooked (2 1/2 cups cooked) white or brown rice*
- 4 delicata squash
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 can chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 green onions
- 15-ounce can of black beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked or Instant Pot black beans)
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or canned corn kernels
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Monterrey Jack and Cheddar blend shredded cheese (Mexican blend)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Hot sauce, for garnish (optional)
- Sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- Cook the brown rice according to the package instructions (or use our Instant Pot method).
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450°F. Wash the squash, then cut each squash in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Mince the garlic and 1 chipotle chili. Combine with 2 tablespoons of adobo sauce from the can of chilis, the honey, and olive oil, then rub on both sides of the squash. (Alternatively, rub each squash half with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.)
- Place the squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 25 minutes, until tender when poked with a fork.
- Meanwhile, when the rice finishes, thinly slice the green onions. Chop the cilantro. Drain and rinse the beans.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sliced green onions, salsa, black beans, corn, 2 tablespoons adobo sauce, and the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder. Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese and when the rice is done, 2 1/2 cups cooked rice. Taste, and adjust seasonings if desired.
- When the squash are done, scoop the filling into each half. If desired, top with a few dashes hot sauce. Cover with the remaining shredded cheese, and place in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melts. Top with chopped cilantro and serve with sour cream if desired.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican Inspired
Keywords: Delicata Squash, How to Cook Delicata Squash, Delicata Squash Recipe, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinner, Chipotle, Black Beans, Rice