These zesty vegetarian lettuce wraps have a chipotle black bean filling, and are topped with tangy mango salsa and guacamole.
- 1 recipe Mango Salsa (or purchased mango salsa; fresh is best!)
- 1 recipe Simple Guacamole (or purchased guacamole)
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 ½ cups corn (frozen or fresh)
- 15-ounce can black beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked or Instant Pot black beans)
- 7-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (1 pepper plus 1 1/2 tablespoons adobo sauce; omit the pepper if desired)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each oregano, cumin and paprika
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce
- Dice the red onion. Dice the green pepper. Place them in a bowl with 1 ½ cup corn. Drain and rinse the black beans. Mince the chipotle chili pepper (if using).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add red onion, green pepper, and corn, and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add black beans and the oregano, cumin, paprika, liquid smoke, and kosher salt, and a few grinds fresh ground pepper. Add ¾ cup water and let simmer until water cooks down, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the lettuce leaves and wash and dry the lettuce.
- To serve, spread guacamole on a lettuce leaf, then top with black bean filling and mango salsa. If desired, serve with homemade tortilla chips.
The prep time below does not include making the mango salsa and guacamole homemade. Be sure to plan timing accordingly.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps, Vegan Lettuce Wraps, Dinner Ideas, Healthy Dinner Ideas, Vegetarian, Vegan, Mexican, Mexican Lettuce Wraps