Chili cheese fries are always a hit! Make a batch of baked fries and top with a simple chili, cheese sauce, and toppings.
- 1 recipe Baked French Fries
- 2 cups Black Bean Chili, Quick Chili (with ground beef or plant-based crumbles), or other favorite chili recipe*
- 1/4 cup whole milk**
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion
- Pico de gallo, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- Make the Baked French Fries, following that recipe. (You also can use frozen fries and skip this step.) While the fries soak, go to Step 2.
- Start the Black Bean Chili or Quick Chili, or use leftovers of your favorite chili recipe. Allow it to simmer while baking the fries.
- Directly before serving, make the cheese sauce: In a small saucepan, heat the whole milk and the salt over medium heat. Once hot, add the shredded cheese a little bit at a time, stirring and melting before adding more cheese until all is incorporated (this should take about 3 minutes total).
- To serve, place the fries on a platter. Scoop out 2 cups of chili with a slotted spoon and add them over the top. Top with the warm cheese sauce, green onion, pico de gallo and sour cream. Serve immediately.
For vegan, use Vegan Chili and Vegan Nacho Cheese.
**For the best texture use whole milk: it has the creamiest, richest body. You can substitute 2% milk, but the sauce has a grainer texture. Or for a more classic cheese sauce, go to Cheese Sauce.
- Category: Appetizer or Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Chili cheese fries