These chickpea tacos are a fast way to dinner! This crowd pleaser pairs a flavorful filling of garbanzos with guacamole, pico and slaw.
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon each chili powder and smoked paprika (or paprika)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon sour cream (or vegan butter or cashew cream), plus more for serving if desired
- Guacamole (required!)
- Pico de gallo or fresh salsa, for serving (purchased)
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Make the quick slaw: Shred the red cabbage and shred the carrot. Place them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon lime juice and 2 pinches of kosher salt.
- Cook the chickpeas: Drain and rinse the chickpeas, shaking off as much water as possible. Combine spices and salt in a small bowl. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chickpeas and spices and sauté, stirring frequently, until warm and the chickpeas are evenly coated, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon lime juice and the sour cream and cook 1 more minute until warmed through and tender.
- Warm the tortillas: Warm and char the tortillas by placing them on an open gas flame on medium for a few seconds per side, flipping with tongs, until they are slightly blackened and warm. (See How to Warm Tortillas.)
- Assemble the tacos: Add a generous spoonful of guacamole, spoonfuls of chickpeas, slaw, and pico de gallo. If desired, top with sour cream (or cashew cream) and/or fresh chopped cilantro. Store any leftover filling refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Chickpea tacos