Chickpea cookie dough is a healthier spin on the classic treat! Try this tasty recipe whenever the craving hits. Caveat: The best cookie dough flavor is our Edible Cookie Dough: just eat one serving!
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 4 tablespoons salted butter (or vegan butter or refined coconut oil for vegan)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (optional, but gives that cookie dough vibe)
- 6 tablespoons almond flour or heat treated all purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place them on a clean dish towel and use another clean dish towel to rub gently on top to remove some of the skins. Remove them with your fingers and discard (this should only take about 1 minute; don’t feel the need to remove them all).
- Add the chickpeas to a food processor with the butter or coconut oil. Process until combined. Add the kosher salt, vanilla, maple syrup, brown sugar and almond flour. Process a few seconds until a dough forms.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Store refrigerated for 3 to 4 days for best flavor (it doesn’t freeze well).
*If using all purpose flour, heat treat it to prevent bacteria growth. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the flour on a baking sheet and bake for 4 to 6 minutes until the temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, checking every few minutes with a food thermometer. Cool completely before using (be patient: if the flour is warm the texture of the cookie dough will suffer).
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Chickpea cookie dough