These carrot cake pancakes are moist and spiced, a healthy spin that’s just sweet enough! The maple Greek yogurt topping takes them over the top.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or oat flour (or more all purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 1/4 cups finely shredded carrots (about 5 large carrots)
- Maple yogurt topping*: 1 cup Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: If making the maple yogurt topping: place 1 cup Greek yogurt in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and let it drain while making the pancakes (this makes it thicker, getting it to a cream cheese consistency).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and kosher salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, then whisk in the milk, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, and oil. Then whisk in the grated carrot.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Stir in a few tablespoons of milk to get it to a thick but pour-able consistency (the consistency of each yogurt brand varies).
- Lightly butter a skillet and wipe off extra grease with a paper towel. Heat the skillet to medium low heat. If the batter has gotten thicker after sitting, add a splash of milk (don’t add too much or the pancakes will get too flat). Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to pour the batter into small circles; if necessary, use the bottom to flatten out the shape if necessary (the carrots can make it harder to spread). Cook the pancakes until the bubbles pop on the top and the bottoms are golden. Then flip them and cook until done. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- If making the maple yogurt topping, mix together the thickened Greek yogurt, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Serve the pancakes topped with maple yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup. (If you’d like, add chopped pecans.)
*The maple yogurt topping is reminiscent of cream cheese toppings but a little less rich. The tang with the carrot cake pancake is totally worth making!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Carrot Cake Pancakes