These carrot cake breakfast cookies are a portable breakfast or snack similar to a Clif bar: they’re vegan and even work as a wholesome dessert!
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats*
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups peeled grated carrots (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 cup roughly chopped raw pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup melted refined coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and ginger. Whisk to blend. Add the carrots, pecans, and raisins and stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the maple syrup and coconut oil. Whisk until blended. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. The dough might be rather wet, but don’t worry.
- Drop 1/4-cup scoops of dough (an ice cream scoop with a wire scraper is perfect for this) onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving several inches of space around each one. Use the palm of your hand to gently flatten each cookie to about 3/4-inch thick.
- Bake until the cookies are golden and firm around the edges, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then carefully transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely (otherwise, the bottoms can brown too much). Leftover breakfast cookies will keep, covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reprinted with permission from Love Real Food by Kathryne Taylor
*Kathryne notes she likes to use quick cooking oats since they disappear into the texture more. We tried this and loved the consistency! But you can use old fashioned as well.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Breakfast Cookies, Cookies, Carrot Cake, Vegan Recipes, Vegan Breakfast Recipes, Breakfast Cookie